WHO WE ARE
To offer patients the best care, doctors need to reflect the population that we treat. Being a doctor should not just be for the elite or privileged in society, it should be an option for anyone with the ability and desire. Unfortunately society has put barriers in place for certain groups of people who would otherwise make fantastic doctors. These barriers are present when applying to medical school, during medical school and when practising as a doctor.
'Widening participation (WP) is a government initiative offering opportunities to groups of people who are under-represented in higher education.' - BMA
WPMN exists to break down these barriers by forming a supportive community where we offer tips and advice for prospective and current medical students from underrepresented groups which include students who:
attend a school with low progression into higher education
are the first generation of their family to consider higher education
are from an underrepresented ethnic group
are from a low socio-economic group
have a disability
are a care leaver
are a carer
Why become a member?
1. It's FREE
2. Connect with doctors and medical students across the UK in our community
3. Receive 1:1 support from the committee through our messaging service
3. Be the first to hear about our events
4. Find out about nationwide opportunities in our monthly newsletter
5. Have full access to all the forums
1. Prospective medical students from an underrepresented group
2. Current medical students from an underrepresented group
3. Doctors from an underrepresented group or with an interest in widening participation
If you would like to be a member but do not fit the criteria above, please get in touch.
Grow our community
'When you've worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you. You reach back and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed'